I’m really starting to have a lot of asparagus growing in my garden and as it’s blooming in time, it’s high time I stocked up for later.
- 10 to 12 lbs of asparagus
- 7 garlic cloves cut in half
- 5 cups (1250ml) water
- 5 cups (1250 ml) vinegar
- 5 teaspoons pickling salt
Optional per Mason jar:
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
- Fill your large canning cauldron and bring to a boil.
- Thoroughly sterilize the Masson jars in boiling water.
- Meanwhile, heat the water, vinegar and pickling salt until the salt is dissolved.
- Prepare the asparagus. Cut an asparagus to 1/2 inch from the head of the Masson jar. Use this asparagus as a measure.
- Fill the Masson jars with asparagus, head down.
- Add garlic, pepper and cayenne pepper flakes to each jar.
- Fill each of the jars with the vinegar mixture leaving about 1/2 puff of air.
- Put the lids on.
- Make sure your water is boiling on high.
- Add the Masson jars and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pot and leave on counter for 24 hours.
- Enjoy your food!