- The departure of freighters loaded with Ukrainian grain was suspended on Tuesday 1er November evening, after Vladimir Putin demanded guarantees that this navigation corridor will not be used to attack the Russian fleet, in the midst of the war against Ukraine. These demands, expressed during talks on Tuesday with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, echo attacks by marine drones, not claimed at this stage by Ukraine, which on Saturday hit buildings of the Russian military fleet in the Bay of Sevastopol (Crimea), hitting at least one.
- It seems in retaliation, Russia had launched a wave of massive strikes on Monday of cruise missiles on kyiv and the civil infrastructures of the country, and announced on Saturday to withdraw from the agreement which allowed the export of millions of tons of Ukrainian cereals via the Bosphorus.
- In unison with Western allies and the United Nations, French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday denounced “a unilateral decision by Russia which again harms global food security”following a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelensky.
- Ukrainian Presidentwho underlined its desire to continue exports as part of the grain agreement, called on Tuesday evening for the establishment “reliable and long-term protection” of the maritime corridor.
- On the military ground, while it is in the south, in the Kherson region, that Russian forces have been waiting for weeks for the launch of a massive Ukrainian attack, the beginning of a Ukrainian counter-offensive was taking shape on the eastern front, soldiers engaged in this sector told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday, confirming statements by the Ukrainian authorities.
- In Kyiv, after destructive strikes on Monday, water and electricity supplies were restored on Tuesday, according to the mayor of kyiv, Vitali Klitschko. Since the beginning of October, Russia has multiplied drone and missile strikes against the hydraulic and electrical infrastructures of Ukrainian cities.
Find our direct from yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Testimonials. Olga and Sasha’s diary: “Russia means fear, death, terror for so many people in the world today”
Grandstand. “France must act as Ukraine’s best ally”
Decryptions. By withdrawing from the grain agreement, Moscow is betting on a worsening of the world food crisis
Maintenance. Amory Lovins, Scientist: “Vladimir Putin has just blown up the era of fossil fuels”
Reportage. How the Russian economy is weathering the shock of sanctions
Maintenance. Agatha Demarais: “Economic sanctions against Russia work, but only in the long term”
Decryptions. Against sanctions, Russians are slipping through the cracks in global trade from Turkey to Iran
Factual. The responses of World to your most frequently asked questions